Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cole

Okay so Mister Cole has one more evaluation needed by an occupational therapist and then he is good to go with the new plan! So far, he will be receiving speech therapy 2x week and developmental therapy 1x week. We are also guessing he will be receiving occupational therapy at least 1x week as well. The reasoning behind the developmental therapy is just that Cole had a few issues with his cognitive skills and memory during that evaluation. I know that some of it was just the excitement and probably anxiety of having someone new in the house asking him to do all these things, but truth be known, we have noticed he could use a little help in that area. And all these early intervention services through the state are free until Cole turns 3 years old, so we are taking full advantage of it since it can only help. While here, both therapists also recommended a full evaluation by an occupational therapist since they noticed Cole seemed to have some characteristics of sensory processing disorder (SPD). I will try to explain SPD as best I can, but this is all new to me. Basically, everyone is constantly receiving information to their brain from all 5 senses...sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. In most people, their brains are able to sort out all this information and process it accordingly. However in people with SPD, information from certain senses gets "scrambled" and the brain cannot process it in an appropriate manner. This causes different behaviors, reactions, emotions, etc. that are atypical. Anyways, this is what the occupational therapist will evaluate him for. I'm on the fence as to whether he has this or not. If he does, I'd say his case is quite minor compared to other children with it that I've read about. We shall see, I suppose. But anyways, once this evaluation is done and we have his entire therapy plan in place, then we can finally start. I'm guessing this will take another couple weeks to get going. But I will update again once we get started, and of course I will continually update on Cole's progress. I love him with all my heart and soul. He is still such a mama's boy, and I look forward to the day he is non-stop chattering right alongside Eve!

No comments: